Sunday, September 12, 2010

Last Moment

Last Moment
By: K.A. Phinney


And then the tears
Ran from my cheeks
And met the water’s edge
Because the girl I swore
I couldn’t be was
Waiting on the ledge,
In a much closer space
Than I thought she’d ever be,
Waiting for me to fill her.

And all this time,
I dreamed that grief
Was further away than this,
And that your little face,
The one that makes me live,
Would be here much longer
Than it really was.

But I guess I took you for granted
In the smallest moments.
Because all my nightmares,
The ones that promised
you’d be stolen away
And I’d become that sad, crying girl
Were right indeed.

Seems we never know
When we’re in that last moment,
The last one we’d call normal.
The one before pain, death,
And our undoing.
So in that last moment,
We are happily blind
And thoughtless.

It’s the poetry of life, they’d say.
Or, the poetry of death,
When in that last moment,
We never really know
That is exactly what it is.


----------------------------------------------

And since we never know when that last moment is, let us love each other with all we have in every minute we are given together. And if your loved one is gone already, keep their memory close by cherishing your last moments, for now and for always.

4 comments:

  1. I found this post very unnerving. We never know when that last moment will come and therefore need to keep our relationships cleaned up to the best of our ability. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning about last moments myself. It's really hard to think that we could be in an ordinary moment, and then later we will learn that the moment we thought was ordinary was really the last moment we were ever going to have with that loved one. Makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year ago I lost my closest sibling very suddenly. He lived so far away and the idea of his death was so far away too. I am still recovering. I have learned you can never love too much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I shared this poem. I wasn't sure if I would because it's a bit personal, but from your comments, I know I did the right thing. I am learning that the hardest parts to share are the parts that help others the most. Who knows how hard the heart has loved until the heart has lost?

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails