Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm a Survivor!

Back in March, I was contacted by a very strong, gifted
woman. Michelle Smith has an amazing story to tell, and she tells it through her deeply touching poetry. If you or someone you love has been affected by cancer, this is a post for you.

Reading her poetry brought tears to my eyes, and it especially touched me because my mother is an ovarian cancer survivor, but sadly my grandmother died of breast cancer when I was 13. I think we all have these stories, ones of triumph and ones of loss.

So please, sit back and be touched by this cancer survivor’s tale. And by all means, share her powerful words with the loved ones in your life that struggle with this horrible disease.

Michelle’s first poem, “Way Beyond,” is about her wonderful husband who carried her through her entire ordeal. Michelle’s second poem, “I am not BC,” is her personal battle-cry against cancer and her proud attempt to reclaim her identity during the process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Way Beyond

He, a man I thought was detached
A man who spends his time in his head
One who makes little room for people or for fun
Turns out it is He who has been most present

A pillar of strength on his outside, pained and anguished on his inside
Watching his beloved’s body emerge from Frankenstein’s chamber.
Hoping that she can still find it in her to fight

He is her strength, her hope, her everything.
He carries her when she is weak
He feeds her when she cannot eat
He gives her good lines when she cannot think

And when she lashes out at him, He doesn’t blink
He loves her way beyond.

Copyright Michelle Smith 2009


I am not BC

I don’t want to say breast cancer, so I say BC
I don’t want to feel it, taste it, cry it
But I join the millions of brave women who have to
Who swallow their pride when they lose their hair, their femininity taken from them.
I join those who buy scarves, wigs, hats and prosthesis just to go through a day of normal.

I try to remember that the baldness is temporary, but it feels permanent;
I try to remember that I can reconstruct the breasts, but it will take forever;
I try to have the energy to make through the chemicals and pain; but I don’t feel as strong as I should.

I look for the beauty in BC and see it in the strength of the people around me;
And I look forward to a still day when I have energy and I remember who I am.
I am not BC

Copyright Michelle Smith 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Author:

Michelle Smith is a beautiful 51 years old. She is a mother of three daughters and a grandmother of six grandbabies. Yes, six! She’s been with her loving husband for 32 years. She is very unique, in that she is a second degree Reiki, an artist, a poet, and a social worker who works with teen parents.

Sadly, Michelle was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 2009 and had to have a double mastectomy to save her life on June 17, 2009. In the following months, she endured chemotherapy treatments until November of 2009 and is currently taking Herceptin treatments until July 2010 to fight the good fight. Michelle loves new challenges, and she has recently taken up the electric bass guitar and is living "in the moment," as she enjoys her friends and family…

And do you want to know the best news? Michelle is currently CANCER FREE!

1 comment:

  1. Reading Michele's poetry almost made me feel guilty, even though I am a 20 year survivor of endometrial cancer. My scar, although it goes from the cervix almost to the rib cage, is hidden from the world and I had radiation not chemo. I guess cancer isn't just cancer, but we both escaped with our life and that is something to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails