Saturday, May 1, 2010

No Regrets

Regret is like a boulder tied to your ankle. It's heavy, it's burdensome, and you can't shake it. And there's nowhere to hide from regret because there's no one to blame but yourself. You did it. No one else. That's a jagged pill to swallow, isn't it?

I think that in our days, as they add up, there are so many simple, ordinary opportunities that come up that give us the ability to act in greatness. Sometimes we think only superheroes and world leaders are the people that can achieve greatness by a single word spoken or the power they yield over the people.

Well, let me tell you, that is plain WRONG!

God has blessed us all with worthiness and greatness. We just have to take hold of those gifts. Our daily lives-- for the most part-- aren't glamorous: we don't have hoards of people chasing after us or near-death situations springing up that require our heroism. But what we do have is our jobs, our families, our friends, and our communities. And I can bet you that those people need a hero, and that hero is YOU!

With your words, your love, your mercy, your guidance, your forgiveness, and your support, you can help change the world you live in one person at a time. You have the gifts and the abilities to live your life extraordinarily, and you've been called to be that light in others too.

And if you don't choose to embrace the tools of life, you will regret it, not just for your cherished ones, but for yourself. If we don't choose the right thing to do in everyday living and circumstances, we will surely regret it when we look over our shoulders.

Please, don't let any opportunity to truly live and love pass you by. Because before you know it, you will have gone many, many years without truly living your life. And you'll truly regret that the mark you leave in this world and on the lives of others wasn't heroic at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I actually wrote the poem below about regret before I wrote the introductory part of this post. It honestly just came to me. I was drinking my morning coffee, thinking about life... And there it was. I hope it reminds you of all the gifts and opportunities you have been blessed with and that you must not let them go to waste.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Because I Would Not"
By: K.A. Phinney


A long, long time ago, I had my words.
And I wasted them.

When I was young, I had my health.
But I neglected it.

Once, I had the favor of men.
And I misused it.

There was a time, I had power.
But I abused it.

At a point, I looked the needy in the eyes.
Yet I refused them.

For years, I was blessed with love.
And I neglected him.

I once had eyes to see all things.
But I didn’t use them.

I was given opportunities for change.
And I misspent them.

There were times I could grant forgiveness.
But I denied them.

And now I know, as I look back, I had a life.
But I squandered it because...

I would not speak.
I would not sacrifice.
I would not show mercy.
I would not love.
I would not see.
I would not change.
I would not forgive.

And because I would not, I am not.

4 comments:

  1. Great poem. I like the message here today. Regret seems something so impossible to shake. It lurks in the background of every day life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen Ann MatthewsTuesday, May 04, 2010

    Thank you for sharing this. The words hit home hard. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my life there are many things that I regret doing and not doing. There are times that those memories full of regret sneak up on me and prey on my mind when I am most vulnerable. The memory will play over and over in my head and I can't stop it. While there is nothing I can do to change the past, what I can control is my future. My regrets and moments of shame have become my fighting point. Everyday I wake up, I fight against those regrets by being conscious of my decisions. Though there are situations I regret ever getting involved in, I learned a lot about myself through those times. I'll never be able to shake the regret but I can fight against them by making my future different than my past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @all... I feel blessed that this blog is a place you all come to so that you may think, relax, reflect, and share. As woman (anon- if you're not a woman, forgive me), I think we are particularly hard on ourselves. And because of that, we carry around a lot of regrets. Hopefully, as we grow and learn, we come to accept those regrets and move beyond them. The best thing is that our positive actions we take today limit or remove our future regrets...

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails