Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Music of Heartbreak

We are all in the same boat.

And that boat is called the human experience. And right now that boat is flooding with heartbreak.

In times like these it’s our natural instinct to work wildly to expel the water from our sinking vessel. And if that doesn’t work, we're tempted to jump ship all together.

At what point do we realize the water is pouring in far faster than we can shovel it out? At what point do we jump ship? And when we jump ship, when do we return to assess the wreckage?

I don’t have the answers; perhaps that is part of the human condition. But my heartbroken friend, what I can do for you tonight is offer up the notion that you aren’t alone. You can find a Universal accord—a “distant companionship” you could say—with time, with God, and with the many who suffer along with you.

As cliché as it is—and I pray you’ll forgive me— I find looking up at a blanket of milky stars in the night sky to be very comforting. It reminds me of this Universal accord. The stars tell me I am not alone. They tell me I am connected to so many things. They tell me that as I look up and fling my words toward the sky that so many, too, are uttering the same prayers for Peace and Healing.

So as I work tirelessly to save this sinking ship (or perhaps walk away from the wreckage of heartbreak entirely), I can know that I am not alone. God is on my side. Time is my friend. And all of the heartbroken tonight will be walking with me.

Though I walk away, I am not alone.

Though it may hurt badly right now, time will heal my wounds.

Though it may take a miracle to love and trust again, God’s been known to work a miracle or two.


------------------------------------------------

And as far as articulating the deep aching we feel for the loved one who’s died, who’s rejected us, who’s left us in the cold, nothing does it better for me than the song “Walk Away” by Ben Harper.
His words are my words. His words are yours.

Please listen... and know you’re not the only one.




"Walk Away"
By: Ben Harper


Oh no- here comes that sun again.
And (that) means another day without you my friend.
And it hurts me to look into the mirror at myself.
And it hurts even more to have to be with somebody else.

And it's so hard to do and so easy to say.
But sometimes - sometimes,
you just have to walk away - walk away.

With so many people to love in my life, why do I worry about one?
But you put the happy in my ness, you put the good times into my fun.

And it's so hard to do and so easy to say.
But sometimes - sometimes,
you just have to walk away - walk away and head for the door.

We've tried the goodbye so many days.
We walk in the same direction so that we could never stray.
They say if you love somebody than you have got to set them free,
but I would rather be locked to you than live in this pain and misery.
They say time will make all this go away,
but it's time that has taken my tomorrows and turned them into yesterdays.
And once again that rising sun is droppin' on down
And once again, you my friend, are nowhere to be found.

And it's so hard to do and so easy to say.
But sometimes, sometimes you just have to walk away, walk away and head for the door.
You just walk away - walk away - walk away.
You just walk away, walk on, turn and head for the door.

5 comments:

  1. I love that song... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came from Lena's place.
    Very nice spiritual place you have here.
    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen Ann MatthewsTuesday, May 11, 2010

    Thank you for sharing. Beautiful Words and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing these recent posts on love and heartbreak. It helps to know that we aren't alone in this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad all of you are enjoying the postings and that they are helping you through whatever you're going through. We're in this together, and we should never forget that truth.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails