Sunday, March 28, 2010

The "Landslide" of Change


"Landslide"

Took my love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around.
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes bolder children get older
I'm getting older too, well...

Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes bolder children get older
I'm getting older too, well, I'm getting older too

So take this love and take it down
Yeah, and if you climb a mountain and you turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide brought down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well maybe, well maybe, well maybe
The landslide will bring you down

~Fleetwood Mac


--------------------------------------------
I must admit; I really dislike change. I’ve always been too comfortable with what is predictable, safe, and familiar in my life. New places? New people? New job? A new chapter in my life? Yep, you guessed it… It totally freaks me out! How I wish I was a woman of whim and jet-setting. How I wish I was the one to roll with the punches or to be the one who simply packs up one day and move to a brand new place. There’s freedom in that disposition.

Even in relationships, I often hold on to “what was,” rather than accepting “what is.” And this dwelling really causes a great deal of misery for me. When a friendship has expired, I fret over what I did or what they did rather than embracing the memories and lessons and then graciously moving on. I know this about myself, and therefore I must begin to push for change in my life. I must embrace the change that comes and trust in its arrival instead of living in the past or hiding in my room when “change” is knocking on my door.

So in embracing “change” in my life, I wrote this note to myself, and it goes like this:

Life is about change, and change is about life. Too many times you refuse to let go for the sake of holding on, for the sake of latching onto the verisimilitude of power. As the minutes tick by and the days fade into the sunset, you are in fact changing. The person you were morphs into the person you will be, and only the wise are willing to go there. If you allow the natural progression of the Universe to become transformative in your life, you will be able to embrace the evolution whether it brings you joy or pain. For in both (joy and pain), you are able to collect lessons and priceless experiences. And in those bittersweet moments you can gain perspective and bask in gratitude. So why wouldn’t you?

As a child, you were bold. As a teen, you were prideful. But as an adult, you now have the divine opportunity to learn that both boldness and pride can be dangerous and even hurtful. You must embrace change so that you may grow. Change is a challenge; life is a challenge, and it softens you. And that's okay. You must let go of what was so you can grab onto what you will be.

So, what are you waiting for? Dive into the spring of change, and make no excuses as you swim around in it.

--------------------------------------------

The following excerpt was shared by Karen Ann Matthews on our Facebook community, and it speaks quite eloquently to allowing change to work miracles in our lives, and it warns that if we hold onto our past selves too tightly that we will lose out on the beauty of what is new:

"How many times have you heard someone say, "That's just the way I am," or "I can't change," How about, "This is me, take it or leave it!" Oh, how we fight to hold onto what limits us. Don't we realize, if our way worked, it would be working. Can't we see that holding on to what "I am" keeps us from realizing, who we... are? It is natural to resist change. It is insane to fight against it. For some reason we believe if we have to change, there must be something wrong with the way we are. The issue is not right or wrong. The issue is working or not working. Everything must change. The best can always be better. The fast becomes fastest. The great becomes the greatest. When we make minor adjustments as we see they are needed, we save time and the expense of a major overhaul. Behold, I do a new thing."

Acts of Faith by Iyanla Vanzant

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Your site amazes me in that it is always something that I just needed to hear at that moment. I shares your "Dive into the spring of change" as my status and I am sending the "Behold-I do a new thing" to my work email as a reminder that change is not a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am guilty of holding on to the past. I'm guilty of trying to keep things exaclty as they were. I'm afraid to get old and afraid to grow up. I believe that fear of getting old is what keeps me stuck in this "resistance to change" rut. I need a lesson in "letting go"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon 1, I am so glad you found inspiration in the message and some great quotes to take away so that you are energized on your journey. If my experiences can be of comfort or help to just one person, then I am very happy indeed.

    Anon 2, I hear you. I feel like I am an "old soul" for someone my age, but there is a great deal in life that scares me because I am afraid of change (hence my post). I am afraid to become a mother, and I am afraid to move, even though I don't like where I live. How silly of me!

    May 2010 continue to bring good change and challenge to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen Ann MatthewsFriday, April 16, 2010

    I am still afraid of change and change is what I am going through now. It is very hard to let go. Thank you for the wonderful site. Always an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails