Sunday, March 7, 2010

Have a Little Faith (the Dog)

There are very few things I love more than dogs, especially my two rescued American Pit Bull Terriers, Caesar and Grace. And most of you dog lovers out there would agree with me that dogs aren’t just pets; they’re family members that teach us how to live.

So when I saw Faith (the Dog) several years back on my television set, her story touched me, and it’s stayed with me until this very day. I am not exaggerating when I say this: When I feel down, I look up her story and videos on the web, and she picks me right back up again.

If you don’t know about Faith (the Dog), she’s got an amazing story to share. You see, Faith was born with two highly deformed front legs. They were so badly misshaped that the vet recommended Faith be put down. Luckily, the family that rescued this little pup had a little faith and decided to save her instead. They were determined, that somehow, they’d teach her to walk upright on her hind legs.


What happened next was surely a miracle:



So, you might be wondering just how this little miracle of a dog relates to us? Well, she does in most every way. Faith’s story and dogged spirit reminds us of “what it looks like to persevere,” as her owner put it so eloquently. And isn’t it amazing that God blessed even his four-legged creatures with the ability to persevere in the face of adversity? If Faith can walk on her hind legs and be joyful in the process, then why can’t we?

There are so many times in life when I’ve felt like I’ve lost my two front legs (metaphorically speaking, of course). Maybe it’s been an illness or death in the family, a struggle at my job, a fight with my friend or husband, or even a financial setback. Maybe it’s the loss of a dream or dealing with the fact that I let someone down. Or maybe I’ve been doubted or counted out by others, just like Faith. We’ve all been through it. But with an attitude and spirit like Faith, we can overcome our challenges whether they turn out just the way we want them to or not. And we can even be bold enough to trust that there will be a way to live better and be better in the aftermath.

But do you know what the most amazing thing about Faith is? Her struggle to overcome has gone on to bless millions of people, whether it’s been while she was visiting nursing homes, helping her community, or reaching us through the television set. If she had been an everyday-four-legged-pup, we wouldn’t be talking about her. If she had given up or if her owners didn’t have a little faith, we wouldn’t know about her struggles. It’s almost as if more good and blessings came out of her hardships than would have ever come if she had never struggled at all. And maybe that’s the single most important message we should take away from Faith.

I hope she’s as memorable and touching to you as she is to me... because Faith is here to tell us all something: No matter how hard it gets, no matter how overwhelming the hardship, we’ve got to have a little faith, and it will be alright.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Find Faith (the Dog) here:
http://faiththedog.info/
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Faith-the-Walking-Dog-Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSB9aBMayxU

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that the Opie and Anthony DJ guys at the end of this video were sort of mean, but it's the best video I could find.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails