Thursday, February 25, 2010

Words of Wisdom from the Illuminated Rumi

Words are powerful. It's how we communicate with each other; it's how we record our experiences and the world we see. And words, in perfect order and union, can lend us powerful insights and emotions we've never had before.

So for those of you who love inspirational quotes and poetry, please enjoy these nuggets of wisdom from Rumi, the highly revered Afghani poet of ancient times. I can only hope you fall in love with his words and vision as I have.


"The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along."

"Reason is the shadow cast by God; God is the sun."

"God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly, not one."

"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?"

"O, happy is the soul that saw its own faults."

"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do."

"I want a heart which is split, part by part, because of the pain of separation from God, so that I might explain my longing and complaint to it."

"All day, I think about it; then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere; I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there."

"Silence is an ocean. Speech is a river."

"It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away, so that when I've gone and come back, I'll find it at home."

"Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness."

"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you; Don't go back to sleep. You must ask for what you really want; Don't go back to sleep. People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open. Don't go back to sleep."

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky."

"Observe the wonders as they occur around you. Don't claim them. Feel the artistry moving through and be silent."

"We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust."

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal, and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want more Rumi? Check out these two books of poetry and insight that I absolutely love and return to time and time again:

The Illuminated Rumi (collection of poetry and graphic art): http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Illuminated-Rumi/Coleman-Barks/e/9780767900027/?itm=2&USRI=the+illuminated+rumi

The Glance: Songs of Soul-Meeting (collection of poetry): http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Glance/Jalaloddin-Rumi/e/9780141002316/?itm=10&usri=the+glance

6 comments:

  1. "Let the beauty of what you love be what you do."

    This one really spoke to me. As I told you, I have started "tutoring" at a math club with kindergarten students. I have fallen into complete adoration with these two little boys. They make me laugh and smile. I love watching them solve the problems I pose and get excited when they answer correctly. If I had any doubt that I wanted to be a teacher, it's gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Silence is the language of God..." is such a powerful quote. God speaks to us through everything created. We just need to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fearless :), I love that you have found a vocation, rather than just a career. Vocations, though trying sometimes, are such gifts to the ones who do it and to the ones who receive it. And I know that you will do an amazing job in the teaching profession.

    Barbara, I completely agree. It's so important that we learn to listen and look so that we can feel God's presence rather than trying to fill it all up with our words. As always, thanks for your contribution :)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this personality of mine as a stranger acting in an absolutely comic and ridiculous way. Ofcourse the writer knows about it all, He knows, He knows. Yours is a great and inspirational work Universal Soul, let me add a random feeling of mine to it:

    "Can I 'be' the music of this silence where You sit quitely waiting for Your desire to be fulfilled?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Let the beauty of what you love be what you do."
    so true...;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad Rumi is enjoyed by so many! He never disappoints... :)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails